Use instructional strategies in classroom to engage students in STEM learning and mirror how STEM is pursued by professionals.
- Guided discovery approaches to teaching mathematics – NCTM illuminations, Dan Meyer
- Inquiry approaches to teaching science
- Design approaches to teaching engineering – MEAs, Legacy Cycle
- “A time for telling”
Answer the question of “When am I ever going to use this?”
- Research on utility value
- Research on personalization
- Eliciting and maintaining interest
Connect abstract STEM ideas to things that are concrete and readily-understandable
- Research on grounding, progressive formalization
- Interconnectedness of knowledge
- Gestures/kinesthetic learning/physical metaphors
Model positive and appropriate attitudes towards learning STEM and encourage parents to do the same.
- Research on how teacher and parent attitudes impact student learning opportunities
Keep on top of new STEM learning technologies and excellent STEM curricula.
- Mathematics: Connected Math, Mathia
- Engineering: Engineering your World
- Science: Spark 101, FOSS
Integrate across STEM disciplines in your classroom.
- Challenges and opportunities of STEM integration – mine and Mitch’s research
- Project-based instruction
Latest posts by Nicole Martin (see all)
- STEM Career Showcase for Students with Disabilities - March 26, 2015
- STEM App Spotlight: Wonders of Life - March 24, 2014
- Students Predict Race Results Before it’s Run - February 7, 2014